Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stollen

At this time of year, our thoughts turn to Stollen.  Our first Stollen came from the oven of Grandpa's neighbor, Mrs. Koester, then when we were old enough, we drove to the North side of Chicago to get it from Dinklemann's Bakery.   For several years, Elisabeth sent it to us from Leipzig and one Christmastime, we bought some in Dresden ourselves.  (Gebacken in handwerklicher Fertigung nach traditionellen Rezept.)

For the last few years we have gone to a bakery in South Haven where the Stollen comes close to the real thing but this year we decided to get it from our near-by Aldi's, which as you probably know is German owned.  Three things about Aldi's in America are like the Aldi's in Germany:  the deposit on the cart, seated cashiers, and bring your own bag The Stollen they sell is imported from Germany but I'm sorry to say we were disappointed.  But Stollen keeps until Easter and maybe it will improve with age. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes I already got a stollen at Aldi's and was disappointed. I went to "Dinkel's" bakery when I lived on the North Side and just looked it up and noticed they have mail order deliveries. Now I will look up recipes.LOL LS P.S. I remember Mrs. Koester put on red lipstick and earrings to go to Lincoln Ave. to buy ingredients. Maybe I take after her minus the earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked up recipes (never mind about attempting to make it) LOL. I did find some new info. regarding the shape of it on one site it says the shape is to resemble the swaddeled babe in manger which I never knew before. L.S. P.S. My next quest is to try and buy ready made that is palatable.

    ReplyDelete