Sunday, August 14, 2011

Farewell Germany





The send off from Hamburg was spectacular! Thousands of Hamburg flags were distributed to

passengers and also to people on the excursion boats that accompanied us down the river and the millions who lined the shore. We saw the Louisiana Star but it was so crowded that we could not identify our Meissen friends. I think they saw us waving the German flag and me wearing the green Sachsen cap. The young lady with me in the picture also recognized the Sachsen cap and she said she was from Dresden. She works as a hostess on the ship and speaks English very well. We had a lovely chat.


We got to the deck early and Sister got her favorite place by the rail. By the time the ship turned around and started moving past the crowds on shore there were people 5 deep behind her. I was so busy waving my flags and cap that I did not get any pictures of the fabulous scenes on the river and on shore but they will remain in our memories forever. Farewell Hamburg! Farewell Germany!

3 comments:

  1. It seems sad but you can always go again. Time seems to go by so fast when you are having fun.ls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe journey home! Great Pictures!
    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as though you are headed the wrong way for me to wave from the shores of Oahu. If the skipper takes a wrong turn and heads toward Med Sea, Suez Canal, and Indian Ocean, please let me know so I can head to the shore to await your passage. rb

    ReplyDelete