Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday Morning Solidarity

I'm standing out on Michigan Avenue in Kalamazoo with other demonstrators showing support for  American Nuns who are under fire from the Vatican because of their stand on social justice issues.  The lady sitting with me is the wife of a distinguished Kalamazoo judge. 

Someone asked what parish I was from and I said that I was a member of First Baptist Church, whereupon a reporter from the Kalamazoo Gazette  asked me for a statement and my name and (ugh) age.

At one point we heard a siren in the distance and I heard someone say, "Do you think they're coming to arrest us?"  It was just an ambulance.

I was scheduled to be an usher this morning so I left the demonstration and walked the three blocks back to First Baptist in the 90+ degree heat.  It's a good thing I'm not vain because I arrived looking like someone had poured a bucket of water over my head.  But I didn't stumble in the aisle or drop the offering plate...so far...so good.

 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blogosphere! I've missed reading you!
    XOXOX Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, trying my hand at first comment to your blog... Love that you are still standing up for social issues that are important to you.---H

    ReplyDelete